Welcome to the
Centre for Studies in Religion and Society
As we enter the 21st century, the study of religion raises challenging questions. In such a religiously diverse society as Canada, where do we draw the boundary separating church from state? Is the number of Canadians who belong to a religion increasing, decreasing, or is the very idea of what it means to be religious itself in flux? For that matter, what is religion? A tool for social control, a perfect divine gift, an expression of one's cultural tradition? And what about human rights - do they include the right to wear religious symbols or to pray in public?
Who we are
The CSRS is a community of academics dedicated to the scholarly study of religion in relation to all aspects of human society, from law and politics to family and culture to history, the sciences and the arts. We have no affiliation with any religion and no religious agenda. We are equally interested in Eastern, Western, ancient and contemporary religions. Meet our fellows-in-residence and associate fellows!
View video Faces of UVic Research
We're certainly not alone in our curiosity about religion. We invite you to tour this site to learn more about the amazing community of scholars, researchers, donors, funders, and community members who share our interest, and who make the CSRS such an exciting place to be.
- CSRS Thursday Public Lecture Series - Please join us again starting September 18 for another great lineup of lectures.
- John Albert Hall Lecture Series - Religion in Focus - These lectures feature expert perspectives on the changing role of religion in contemporary society
- Distinguished Lecture in Islam - Understanding Rumi's Place within the Sufi Tradition
Dr. Jawid Mojaddedi, Islamic Studies, Department of Religion, School of Arts and Sciences, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Thursday, October 16, 2014, 7:00 pm. HSD Building, Room A240
- Check out our Community Bulletin Board
- NEW - Religious Radicalization and Securitization in Canada and Beyond, edited by Paul Bramadat and Lorne Dawson (University of Toronto Press, 2014)
- Spirituality in Hospice Palliative Care, edited by Paul Bramadat, Harold Coward and Kelli I. Stajduhar (SUNY Press, 2013)
- View the UVic Libraries publication of The Seghers Collection: Old Books for a New World, by Dr. Hélène Cazes